[ubuntu-uk] LUGs

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:36:24 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 18:59 +0100, Robin Menneer wrote:
> On 3/28/07, TheVeech <theveech at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I subscribe to the AberLUG mailing list (Aberdeen) and I've found it
> > > quite useful. I've met up with a few people 1:1, but I don't attend the
> > > AberLUG meetings: A 'geekfest' sounds a rather judgmental!
> >
> > Don't be daft.  Of course I'm not judgemental.  There's nothing wrong
> > with pointy ears (i.e. it's judgemental).
> >

> > >  I've found
> > > AberLUG members friendly, and willing to help anyone learn about Linux.
> >
> > This is what I'd be after.  It sounds like it's a similar mood and
> > approach to, say, the Ubuntu forums and the mailing lists, which I've
> > found really impressive at times.
> >

> > > I guess it's about making contact with like-minded people. I think far
> > > more people read the LUG lists than attend LUG meetings. However, the
> > > LUG meetings are what some Linux people want, so each to their own :-)
> >
> > I think I'd feel pretty comfortable in a crowd like that, but what about
> > people who are still getting to grips with the 'basics' - would they
> > benefit or would they feel a bit out of place?
> >

> Not only am I trying to get to grips with the basics, I have no wish,
> for instance, to get involved with music.  All I need is a decent word
> processer and drawing program like OO but stable (why isn't OO stable
> ?) and a few specific packages to meet passing needs, like a
> curvilinear graph drawing program with regression equations. These I
> expect to offload from the web via the desktop and not the command
> line.  Much more than this just confuses.  The sort of meeting talked
> about would merely be irrelevant and I would be angry if I was
> persuaded to travel a long way for it.

You did highlight something I thought was worth pursuing, so I gave it a
go last week.  But it drew a blank online.  This might be a reason to
join a LUG to bounce ideas off people who know the scene better than I
do and have a better understanding of what's 'doable' and what's not and
where it's better to focus your energies.

For me, after reading the posts here, meeting up with some folks in
person at a LUG is a pretty exciting prospect.