[ubuntu-uk] Novell adverts

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Mar 27 23:59:02 BST 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 11:44:06PM +0100, Martin Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > So they never have ISP CDs by the tills? Or charity boxes?
> > >
> > I think you're missing a trick here... The ISP disks are either AOL who
> > pay to have the disks there, or
> > Freeserve/Wanadoo/whatever-they-are-called-today who belong/ed to the
> > same company as PC World...
>
> There's always a trick...
>
> I do wonder how much something like this would cost us to do. It's
> perfectly possible (and acceptable - taking into account running
> costs) for the store to charge for any CD we could provide.  What
> would be the thought of providing free software (Firefox, etc.) rather
> than Ubuntu specifically in this sort of vein:

A quick google for CD duplication companies will tell you roughly how much
it would cost. Of course the more you buy the cheaper it becomes. Buying
massive quantities gives you further bargaining power. Then there are the
distribution costs.

We do have a moribund project listed on the UKTeam wiki page to look at CD
duplication services. Would you like to help us do that?

> http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/03/27/1935220&from=rss
>
> Would we really want to provide Ubuntu unsupported - I'd feel there
> would be too many opportunities for mistakes and damage to computers.
> Free software for Windows however - one step at a time... Of course
> this is not a big-store-only thing.

Ubuntu isn't unsupported wherever you get it from

There's loads of support options including but not limited to:-

_Official_

Wiki - http://wiki.ubuntu.com/
Help - http://help.ubuntu.com/
IRC - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
Answers - http://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu
Forums - http://ubuntuforums.org/

_Unofficial_

qunu - http://qunu.com/search/ubuntu
LUGs - http://lug.org.uk/lugs/all.php

If "we" make the leaflet/insert/wallet that goes with the CD there is
nothing stopping us including links to and recommendations for those
resources.

Cheers,
Al.