[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu-uk graphics

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 27 13:58:35 BST 2007

On Tue, March 27, 2007 1:09 am, Dave Murphy wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>> I was under the impression that we can't "use" a logo derived from the
>> Ubuntu one without it getting approval first. We have been through that
>> process for the current logo.
>
> The details are here: http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
>
> In a nutshell, the ubuntu logo - including the "circle of friends" - are
> a trademark of Canonical and cannot be used or modified without their
> permission. Reading between the lines (IANAL nor do I play one on TV
> etc.) they're not going to be bothered what individuals use as forum
> avatars etc., but if a group want to use it then they should get it
> approved.
>
> That said, getting our current logo approved was fairly straightforward,
> although we (purposely) didn't stray to far from the original.

Canonical is beginning to understand that customising the logo is in fact
a bad idea and causes the initial logo to lose its power. For example, see
the recent advice from the Ubuntu webmaster for locoteams who customise
the logo -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2007-March/001196.html

So, if redesigning the logo, please follow his guidelines.

Matt
--
http://www.mdke.org
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF