[ubuntu-uk] Novell adverts

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 11:40:15 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 10:56 +0100, Chris Rowson wrote:
> I did a fresh install of Feisty yesterday.
> > This is looking like it's going to be an amazing release, and if we
> > can't win over new users with this, then our approach is probably wrong,
> > because the software certainly isn't.
> >

> I think to push Ubuntu the Windows and Mac user we really have to market it.

( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam )

Yes, maybe in a mass marketing sense, but I don't know much about that.
And there's people who are entirely new to home computing (i.e. people
who haven't learnt bad habits).  With individual users, one-on-one, I
find that some key points can really sway them - e.g. 'Why don't I need
anti-virus?' + reasons and benefits.

The trouble I found with the clips was when I tried to view them from
the POV of a Windows user/advocate (after taking aspirin), and I don't
think some of the statements would stick and persuade people to think
for long about the merits of switching.

> Your average user isn't to bothered about how something works, they
> just want it to have spangly flashy whizzy buttons and a cool
> reputation.

Agreed, but they want things to work first.  They are impressed if
they're aware of the basics (even some technical points that you can
simplify).  Working face-to-face with newbies helps a lot because they
ask the questions most of us have forgotten or take for granted.
Essentially you're right: most people aren't bothered by heady stats,
but some key points can grab 'em.

BTW, after wiping my drive for the Feisty install, I wiped my old
signatures.  If I can find them, I'll mail you one for feedback, if
possible?

> It'd be a great idea if Ubuntu was to set up a site where users could
> contribute videos to advertise Ubuntu - like mozilla did with
> http://www.firefoxflicks.com

Well, there is a guy collecting all sorts of videos on Ubuntu, but I
haven't had time to assess his site:
http://www.ubuntuvideo.com/

If you want to let me know what you think, I'll be indebted to ya!