[ubuntu-uk] The need for root in a rescue situation

Colin Murphy colin at spudulike.me.uk
Sat Mar 24 17:15:45 GMT 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-24 at 15:11 +0000, Paul Sladen wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007, Colin Murphy wrote:
> > I recently had a corrupt HD on my Dapper desktop system and had a prompt
> > thrown at me for the 'root password' by the minimal rescue system
>
> The prompt only occurs if a root password *has been set*.  Out of the box,
> Ubuntu is configured to use 'sudo' and if you select '(recovery mode)' you
> will get a superuser-prompt, no password prompt questions asked.

I have, in the past, set root passwords in Ubuntu, but I really don't
recall setting one for this installation.  Not being the greatest
security minded person on the planet, I don't change passwords very
often and the then root password would have been the same as my current
Admin account password which, as I said, I had tried.

BUT - the 'recovery' prompt I referred to is not the one that I would
choose off the Grub menu, it is a login prompt that was thrown at me
during my default login which failed.  Are these different?

--
Must go; places to be, people to do, stuff to, err, stuff.
Colin at SpudULike.me.uk