[ubuntu-uk] ubuntu 6.06.1 newbie

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sat Mar 24 10:38:58 GMT 2007

Sean Sims wrote:
> Hi,

welcome!

> I have installed ubuntu 6.06.1 on my laptop after the HDD went pear
> shaped and i had to reformat. trying linux on it, but have played about
> with it very basically a couple of years age, my problem is that on
> installing ubuntu it does not ask for a password for root, and i cannot
> find anything in the documentation, i am probably missing something
> obvious, but i cannot get root access,

You have root privileges when using the sudo facility, which will ask
for your own password, and assigns privileges for the functions you
are calling (only) and not *all* functions, which increases risk.

Think of it as a convenient and measured way of obtaining root access.
The root account is disabled by default, although it is easy to enable
it if you really want to (not recommended).

> is there a standard initial root
> password

not by default. You would have to assign it

>or am i going senial, and investing in vista!

language! :-)

(invest?)
--
alan cocks