[ubuntu-uk] Free penguin with every purchase... (WAS Re: ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 23, Issue 41)

TheVeech theveech at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 12:53:17 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-23 at 06:18 +0000, Sean Miller wrote:
> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > Personally, I'd keep Tux and drop the GNU.  The GNU foundation are an
> > excellent organisation and have a very important part to play in
> > developing F/OSS software and the environment around it, however in
> > the same way the the Six Nations is referred to as a Rugby Tournament
> > and not a Rugby Football Tournament, I think that we should refer to
> > Linux either by distro name or by the simple word "Linux".
> >
> I think 90% of the world have already dropped the GNU from Linux, but
> it's still something that purists hold dear, siting the fact that the OS
> wouldn't exist were it not for the GNU components therein... myself, I
> don't really care one way or another as in the real world it doesn't
> happen anyway... "Red Hat Enterprise Linux", "Fedora Core 4", "Ubuntu",
> "Knoppix"... these are what people call distros... if we take the
> GNU/Linux debate to its logical conclusion every fork should acknowledge
> its origin, hence Ubuntu should probably be called
> "Ubuntu/Debian/GNU/Linux/Minix" (but that would really be a mouthful!)...
>
> I also actually intensely dislike the GNU logo... it seems sinister to
> me, a bit reminiscent of black magic and ritual whereas Tux is a jolly
> sort of penguin and a much more appropriate icon for the OS. Shame that
> these folks appear to have now constitutionally banned Tux... what will
> they be doing next? Enforcing the "man with the red flag" law when it
> comes to road vehicles?
>
> Sean

One of the biggest hurdles I've found is that most FLOSS is
free-of-cost.  It took me a long time to realise that I needed to
persuade people of the quality of the software before mentioning that
there's little, if any, cost and no catch.  So, if people get the wrong
impression from the graphic, my experience is that it's just a case of
explaining things better.