[ubuntu-uk] Forums software recommendations

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Mar 22 20:37:29 GMT 2007

** Dave Murphy <dave at schwuk.com> [2007-03-21 09:35]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> > Anyway, what forum software do people recommend?
>
> Whilst phpBB and vB are the yardsticks by which everything else is
> measured, they're too bloated for my liking.
>
> It's been a while since I last looked at different offerings, but I did
> use PunBB for a while as it was far more streamlined. Of course it may
> have suffered from middle-age spread since then...
** end quote [Dave Murphy]

I've come across that a couple of times. It looks reasonably good, but
the fact that it was last updated in Feb 2005 doesn't give me a warm
fuzzy feeling. I like this sort of software to be regularly updated if
only to show that they are on top of security problems.

I'm considering the UNB at the moment (Unclassified Newsboard [1]) and
looking around for others to compare. Security is my big bugbear with
phpBB, I've been suffering a nightmare amount of spam memberships - 20
to 30 a day sometimes, and on one occaision when I was clearing some out
I'd had another 5 added by the time I was done! I'm loathed to use the
graphic verification systems for accessibilty reasons, but it may yet
come to that - the plugins aren't that easy to work with though, when
you are updating the base application, not a major hassle, just annoying
(as is the fact that the graphical customizations vanished during my
first update and I never got round to putting them back).

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/