[ubuntu-uk] Forums software recommendations

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Mar 22 20:31:37 GMT 2007

** Ben Thorp <THORPB at uk.ibm.com> [2007-03-21 10:29]:
> ubuntu-uk-bounces at lists.ubuntu.com wrote on 21/03/2007 10:00:31:
> > > Simple Machines Forum has caught my eye
> > > http://www.simplemachines.org/
> >
> > SMF isn't bad at all. Doesn't feel as bloated as some of the other
> > offerings out there.
>
> I've used a Simple Machines forum in the past (as a member) and it was
> very nice. However, bear in mind that it isn't stricly open source. (See
> http://www.simplemachines.org/about/opensource.php for details)
** end quote [Ben Thorp]

Yes, I remember noting that and avoiding it when I first set the forum
up. It is off line at the moment following a server crash (the RAID was
gradually scrambling data without logging any errors!!). I'll have to
take another look and balance idealism vs practialities and compare what
else is out there.

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/