[ubuntu-uk] Free penguin with every purchase... (WAS Re: ubuntu-uk Digest, Vol 23, Issue 41)

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Thu Mar 22 18:33:29 GMT 2007

Quoting Benjamin Webb <bjwebb67 at googlemail.com>:
>> Where's the penguin flown to ?  That I would be inclined to use.
>>

> The site's owners don't really like Tux, from what I've heard - they
> think it makes the Operating System look too amateurish.

Interesting perspective.  At work recently, whenever I've mentioned
Linux to anyone (I work in an all-MS shop), a lot of them have said
"Linux, isn't that the thing with the penguin?".

My personal view is that the penguin is the Linux Brand.  I don't
refer to Linux as GNU/Linux because it's too clumsy in my opinion -
maybe it's a similar feeling that the people at getgnulinux have
towards Tux - the market is starting to know Linux as "the free thing
with the penguin", very rarely do you see a press release or
announcement about Linux refering to GNU/Linux and I think that
there's a very valid reason for that - people just don't call it
GNU/Linux.

Personally, I'd keep Tux and drop the GNU.  The GNU foundation are an
excellent organisation and have a very important part to play in
developing F/OSS software and the environment around it, however in
the same way the the Six Nations is referred to as a Rugby Tournament
and not a Rugby Football Tournament, I think that we should refer to
Linux either by distro name or by the simple word "Linux".

Cheers,

M. (supporting the penguin!)
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace