[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Forums

Andrew andrew-7a at mail.black1.org.uk
Tue Mar 20 18:30:47 GMT 2007

TheVeech wrote:

> Usenet - More open than the above two, but vulnerable to the problems
> this can entail.  Again, I don't read all the posts, but I find them
> more manageable than Forums

There is another option (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) which is to
use NNTP protocol but not part of Usenet.
I read this list via gmane over nntp. This to me means
  - I can record which messages I have read/not read
  - I can choose which newsreader I want
  - can mark (using thunderbird) which message I want to reply to later etc

My main grouses against forums is that
  - you are forced to use whatever "user friendly" front end the
implementer has chosen.
  - in most ones I have come across it is hard to find which posts are
new and which you have already seen.

And following another part of the thread
Robin Menneer wrote:

 > I"m happy with this list provided it stays in its present form.  Had a
 > look at Gmane and don't like it.  Robin

I am happy with this list in its current form.  I happen to like gmane
via NNTP and if pressed (i.e. not using my own machine)will use the web
interface.  So I agree with Robin's conclusion albeit for different reasons.