[ubuntu-uk] Community distro ?

Michael Wood admin at x3n.me.uk
Tue Mar 20 14:37:31 GMT 2007

Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:32:45PM +0000, Michael Wood wrote:
>
>> Firstly:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork#head-8c391b3699f3571c2aedfa7cb78adb4623206933
>>
>> "Feisty artwork will be designed by kwwii -- of Kubuntu Edgy and KDE
>> Oxygen Icon fame. He will be working closely with sabdfl in the design.
>> Do not expect community involvement in defining this portion."
>>
>> This seems to contradict entirely the description of ubuntu "Ubuntu is a
>> community developed, linux-based operating system ...." - Ubuntu.com .
>>

> It's surprisingly difficult to create top quality artwork without
> commercial direction.  The artwork of both desktops is majority funded
> by companies.  Ubuntu Edgy tried to do community artwork but it was
> all reverted due to quality issues.  All the commercial distributions
> use their own commercially created artwork and the non-commercial
> distros use the defaults of the desktops with custom wallpapers.

I don't think it is difficult to create top quality artwork without
commercial direction.

If you have a look at current gnome art projects, like the Gion icons
http://art.gnome.org/themes/icon/1340 and all the other window
boarder/login manager/application themes that are on art.gnome.org you
can appreciate that work is top quality.

If you bring that work together you end up with a very high quality set
of desktop art.

--
/\/\ichael [ email at michaelwood.me.uk  ]
  \/\/ood  [ http://michaelwood.me.uk ]