[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Forums

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 21:36:41 GMT 2007

On 19/03/07, Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't - to be honest - see why we have to choose one or the other.
> Surely both forums and mailing lists can be used, with people choosing
> their favorite.
> Anything important and urgent enough to demand the immediate attention
> of all group members could be posted on both the forum and mailing
> list. It's only a case of cut and paste.

The concern was about splitting the community into two, since some who
favour mailing lists (myself included) will not regularly visit a
forum and vice versa.

The problem with cut-and-paste is the same problem as cutting and
pasting code in a program - it's better to have things in just one
place. If you cut-and-paste, the thread will diverge quickly.

> [snip]
> Implementation doesn't have to be too hard either. UbuntuForums will
> provide a forum to any LoCo team making a request for one. I for one
> would prefer to use a forum, but will use a mailing list in
> conjunction with it. I think this matter is important enough to have
> proper vote on.

The preferred suggestion was to use a list-to-forum gateway, and it
was mentioned that (at least) one of the other forums on UbuntuForums
was already using a suitable system. I don't remember hearing anything
after this though.