[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu UK Forums

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Mon Mar 19 11:24:49 GMT 2007

** Chris Rowson <christopherrowson at gmail.com> [2007-03-18 22:52]:
> Hey there - thanks for the welcome ;-)
>
> I'd tend to agree with you. It'd be great if the mailing list stuff
> could get shunted to a forum too. I know a couple of LUG's that do
> that.
>
> I suppose it's all pretty dependent on who you want to attract to a discussion.
<snip>
** end quote [Chris Rowson]

I'm not a particularly active poster here (yet) since I'm still sitting
incomfortably between Debian and Ubuntu and not fully comfortable
switching over (yet) - but that's a completely separate issue. I am one
of those that strongly prefers lists to forums though.

I don't specifically object to forums, but even though I have joined
several I find that I rarely if ever participate in them. I will ask a
question and it will be ages before I remember to pop back to check for
an answer. If I am looking for something on there I get very frustrated
with the time it takes to search and/or move between messages. I also
find that dropping in and out of many different web forums is more
hassle than I can be bothered with.

Basically I sign up to forums and that is often as far as it gets. On
the other side of things, I am subscribed to numerous mailing lists and
scan through them regularly and where I can help out I do so. Maybe I'm
more techy than end user, but my activity drops when forums are used.

As an example, I used to be an active team member on the list and irc of
the Smoothwall project, now they use forums I have dropped out of the
community completely (there are other factors involved such as that I
no longer use Smoothwall, but I was using it up until quite recently and
long after I stopped participating).

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/