[ubuntu-uk] Dell Linux Survey (until 23rd March)

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Mar 15 11:39:47 GMT 2007

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 10:56:00AM +0000, Dave Ewart wrote:
> > This has the benefit of 1) forcing software vendors to look at support
> > linux and 2) bringing down the cost of hardware just as it does with
> > pre-installed windows.
> >
> > Did I hear someone say "chicken or the egg?" which came first?
>
> Hmmm.  Right now, though, even if I was buying a 'Linux desktop', I
> would be extremely likely to re-install the OS; partly paranoid, partly
> just to get it the way I like it.  Any third-party apps would be lost
> via this route.

You are not normal joe-user though. We geeks account for very few
desktop/laptop sales for Dell. The vast majority of their sales come from
the great unwashed and untechnical amongst us who ask us "what 'pooter
should I buy mate!?", then visit the Dell website and buy one.

These people are the ones who often dont run AV, rarely install updates,
dont reinstall their OS on day1, and generally dont have a fundamental
grounding in computing.

That's why whenever I visit a friend or customer who has a PC, there are
almost always the default AV loaded (Norton often), and AOL install icons on
the desktop/start menu.

I am not arguing that this is good practice, just that the vast majority of
users *do* use a standard delivered OEM build for years.

Cheers,
Al.