[ubuntu-uk] NVidia

ajb35 at kent.ac.uk ajb35 at kent.ac.uk
Tue Mar 13 23:47:45 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: martyn woollett <martyn_woollett at hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 11:34 pm
Subject: [ubuntu-uk] NVidia
To: ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com

> As a Newbie to the world of Ubuntu I'm a little confused about graphic
> cards. I have a nvidia geforce 7600gs on my system, but the open gl
> graphics seem jerky. this is on the various screen savers and
> the tux
> pinball game for example. Looking at the add remove programs there
> appear to be 2 nvidia downloads. Which should I use? I did try 1
> but I
> crashed the system and had to re-install. I think I tried the
> later of them.
>   thanks
>   Martyn

You need to install the nvidia-glx package, either using Synaptic or the command line if you prefer. Then press alt+F2, type

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then change "nv" to "nvidia" in the line that says

Driver    "nv"

Save the file, restart and it should be working. You'll see an nvidia logo just before the login screen if the drivers are installed correctly.

Regards,
    Adam.