[ubuntu-uk] "Tories want open source Whitehall"

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Mar 8 21:00:29 GMT 2007

Andrew Price wrote:
> I usually stay away from politics as much as possible but I found this
> interesting:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6430069.stm
>
> "The government could save more than £600 million a year if it used more
> open source software, the shadow chancellor has estimated."
>
> I'm not quite sure what to think about it though.

I have been writing (email) to my MP about Open Source and education,
- parliamemntary bills etc - and how it would be such a good thing for
all the reasons. I got a favourable reply, and I did wonder, in the
political landscape (he is Conservative) if a kurfuffel might happen
at some time - words being cheap etc, including for politicians.

So I am delighted that the term Open Source and Save Money can be
thrust out via such as the BBC. Thank goodness for an otherwise quiet
news week that they used such a story!

Today I talked to the duty manager at Reading PC world - asked about
open source. I concluded from the look in his eye that he probably had
not heard of it. And since they did not sell it he was not much
interested anyway.

The more Open Source gets into news items the happier I will be - it
is the first phase of wider public awareness.
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391