[ubuntu-uk] Uninterruptible power supply question

David Pashley david at davidpashley.com
Wed Mar 7 15:29:59 GMT 2007

On Mar 07, 2007 at 15:23, Eamonn Sullivan praised the llamas by saying:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just built a home/soho server and I'm hoping someone here could
> help me with a couple of questions. It's a headless server (dual-core,
> three 320GB hard drive with RAID5) where I'm running the increasingly
> complicated applications that I use for home and work. It runs the
> MoinMoin wiki, BackupPC, subversion and Samba filesharing, supportingr
> two Ubuntu PCs, an iMac and a laptop.  (I have five children in
> secondary/college/university, a busy nurse wife and I use the wiki and
> subversion from both home and work -- that network gets *heavy*
> use...)
>
> I'm thinking of using a UPC for the first time. Quick questions:
>
> - The server has a 500W power supply (an Antec Phantom), although I
> did that on the hope that an overpowered power supply will be quieter
> (and it's very quiet). Does that mean I need a UPS rated at 500W or
> would a smaller one be OK? The £80-range ones do something like 380
> watts. The 500W ones quickly get into the £200 range.

I have around 4 computers hanging off a 700VA APC SmartUPS, including
one with an Antec power supply, and it's not fully loaded yet. 380VA
should be more than enough for one server.

> - Am I correct that, even in Feisty, all UPS-related software is in
> universe? There's no fully-supported way of monitoring and reacting to
> UPS signals?
>
> - Does anyone have any recommendations on UPS/software combos?

I have always liked APC SmartUPSs. I believe NUT is the software de
jour.

--
David Pashley
david at davidpashley.com