[ubuntu-uk] video choppiness!

gord gordallott at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 12:21:38 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 18:32 +0000, STONE COLD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im experiencing choppiness when video playback. its fine in a smaller screen but in a bigger screen the choppiness occurs. Previously ive changed the video card name after doing something in terminal. I had to change it from "vesa" to "via".
>
> can anyone help??
>
> regards
> javad

It sounds like your video card / video drivers are missing a valuable
'Xv' extension, this extension lets a program upload graphics to a video
card and lets the video card re-size it, without that extension your
computer will have to re-size the video itself and upload a much larger
image to your graphics card, which as it seems is too big an ask for
your computer.

you could try running video in a smaller window or if you need
fullscreen, change your desktop resolution to a smaller size before you
play the video.