[ubuntu-uk] repository screwup!!!

Dean Sas dean at deansas.org
Mon Mar 5 19:01:02 GMT 2007

STONE COLD wrote:
> hi,
> i need some help. I accidentaly deleted some repositories and now im getting this error message.. and a constant little red box on the top toolbar ( informing me of an error). here is the error message:
>
> E: Type ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’ is not known on line 30 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: The list of sources could not be read.
> Go to the repository dialogue to correct the problem.
> E: Type ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’ is not known on line 30 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list
> E: Unable to lock the list directory
>
> I have no idea what this means..i got this after putting "/etc/apt/sources.list" in repostories, add , custom. I put in there...no idea what it means! Please help!!!

You probably want your /etc/apt/sources.list file to look like this:

deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy main restricted universe
multiverse
deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-updates main restricted
universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu edgy-security main restricted
universe multiverse

This adds the base packages plus security and feature updates of all
components (supported/unsupported, free and non-free)

If you'd like your existing file looked at, rather than blindly
overwriting, it would probably be useful to attach it to an email.

Thanks,
Dean