[ubuntu-uk] Thinking about switching to linux

Wulfy wulfmann at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Mar 5 13:46:50 GMT 2007

Alan Pope wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 12:45:41PM +0000, Wulfy wrote:
>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses>
>>
>> Admittedly, 14 compared to hundreds or thousands is *almost* zero...  :@)
>>

> Ok, taking two of those totally at random.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L10n_worm - "The L10n worm (usually pronounced "lion") was a Linux worm that spread
> in 2001 by exploiting a buffer overflow in the BIND DNS server.".
>
> Ubuntu desktops don't run BIND by default, most people wouldn't even install it, and it's been fixed anyway!
>
> http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=23864 - "Mighty" is an Internet worm that infects Linux
> machines running the popular "Apache" web server software. It does that by exploiting a vulnerability in the
> "Secure Sockets Layer" SSL "mod_ssl" interface code of the server which was originally reported on July 30,
> 2002, and listed by the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) as the Vulnerability Note VU#102795.
>
> Ubuntu desktops don't ship with apache with openssl older than 0.9.7d.
>
> Whilst it is of course possible for newer viruses to come along, to cite those 14 as current might be somewhat
> misleading.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to imply they were active or that they were a risk
to *buntu desktops.  It's just that the statement that there are no
Linux viruses is misleading.  That all the known vulnerabilities are
fixed doesn't mean we're "safe"...  just that we're comparatively safe
as compared to Windows.  I don't think an AV for Linux is required just
yet..  :@)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann