[ubuntu-uk] Security on Ubuntu

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sun Mar 4 17:37:30 GMT 2007

Benjamin Webb wrote:
> I know that Linux is supposed to be much more secure than Windows. But
> I still feel it would be best to have Antivirus and Firewall.
>
> My quiestion is, do either of these come with Ubuntu by default, and
> if not, what free software should I use.

Hello, Ben.

I would recommend using "rkhunter", which is in the Ubuntu repositories.
This is a Unix/Linux root 'kit' hunter like the older "chkrootkit". They
both check for malicious software installed on Unix/Linux. Those of you
who think that Unix/linux is not as vulnerable as Windows should read:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit

Whilst it's true that Unix/Linux is not vulnerable to Windows viruses,
Trojan's and worms there are many other threats out there waiting to
trap the unwary. Anyone connecting to Broadband without a firewall is
just asking to be attacked by swarms of botnets:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

Wake up to this ubuntu-uk, or live to regret it!

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687