[ubuntu-uk] my laptop

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Sun Mar 4 00:04:20 GMT 2007

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 23:44:55 +0000
"London School of Puppetry" <lspinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a secondhand Dell laptop- bought with nothing on it...and now I
> have Ubuntu- the person who set it up for me says there is a problem
> with it recognising a wireless signal...does that make sense to
> anyone? Can something be done about this?

I would be very surprised if there are enough details about the problem
there for anyone to diagnose it. We need more details about what you
have tried to do and what has gone wrong.

Ubuntu comes with network manager for controlling connections to
wireless networks, and this should be in the system tray, if you click
on it you should get a list of available networks. Do you see "Wireless
Networks" as a line in that list.

If it is an irreparable problem with the built in wireless you can
probably add a PCMCIA wireless card.