[ubuntu-uk] Thinking about switching to linux

Philip Wyett philip.wyett at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 22:50:55 GMT 2007

On 03/03/07, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:

> Benjamin Webb wrote:
> > I am thinking about swithcing to ubuntu,
>
> Welcome!
>
> > but I use an AOL ADSL modem to access the internet. This will not
> > work well with linux (apparently the eccisadsl drivers may be
> > uncompatible).
> >
> > Therefore, I a router to replace it with. I have found this:
> >
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-5-Port-100-Switch-SD205/dp/B000225CXG/ref=sr_1_75/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172871998&sr=1-75
> >
> This does not seem as if it includes an ADSL modem, it looks like just
> a switch only. I believe you are looking for an ADSL modem/router
> combination unit.
> This unit will have at least one ethernet out socket (port) to
> connect to your network card in the PC.

Already answered this.

Some units may have (more) 4 ports, which can be very useful
> in future when you also want to connect up a laptop temporarilty or
> the spare PC you can now use easily with linux(!)

Expandability is a user preference. The mailer specified that he would be
really
only attaching one PC and had a specific budget. I did offer alternatives
that were
supported by his provider, but he stated he only had certain requirements
and asked
if a certain bit of hardware would do the job. Based on this I looked at the
hardware
providers manuals and gave an assessment.

It is good to have the elements of hardware firewall that are included
> in most such modem/routers eeeefor example:
> Technical Details
> ADSL 2/2+ Modem Router Single port
> Stateful Packet Inspection firewall
> Cost Effective Solution
> MAC Address filtering
> Quick Setup Wizard (for the modem part, for windows software)
>
> You do not get similar 'firewall' protection when using a usb
> connection from the
> modem. The solwise unit mentioed elsewhere in this thread
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-ADSL-SAR-600E-Single-ADSL2+-Router/dp/B000IB9R3C/ref=sr_1_8/203-8642488-2050310?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172874514&sr=1-8
> looks like a nice item, although I see it has only a single port.
>
> It also does not specifically say that the setup menus may be
> accessed via a browser (web, HTTP) interface

Even looking at the quick setup guide shows you there is access via
a browser with the default username of 'admin' and password of
'admin'.

<snip>

Regards

Phil