[ubuntu-uk] UK Patent Laws

Dave Ewart davee at sungate.co.uk
Thu Mar 1 13:19:51 GMT 2007

On Wednesday, 28.02.2007 at 22:11 +0000, Benjamin Webb wrote:

> I thought I'd point out
> http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page11077.asp , the response to the
> petition to stop software patents. Apparently software patents are
> already illegal in the UK.
>
> Does this mean that it is legal for us to install MP3 codecs
> (including using automatix) or are these patented as algorthims rather
> than just software.

Apparently there is a distinction between a "pure software" patent and a
software patent which implements a "technical effect" (or something,
don't quite remember the details).

As I understand it, the latter is the real danger: many patents which
are really no more than software patents are being bundle into that
category and being approved.

Anyone know anything more about that?

Dave.
--