[ubuntu-uk] Dell & Ubuntu - gradually looking more hopeful

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:58:23 BST 2007

luxxius wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
> <snip>
>> I wouldn't be able to put up with the US keyboard though.
>

> Ah!  Hadn't thought of that - yes, it would be a pain.  Oh well, back to
> waiting for Dell to get its European act together.  :-(

Of course there isn't anything stopping you buying a standard Dell
notebook and just getting shot of Windows.

I'm amazed how cheap they're getting.  I spec'd up a dual core Athlon 64
desktop with 19" TFT monitor for about £275 inc VAT & delivery (the
delivery was the killer at £60!!!).

Personally I wouldn't buy a Dell after the problems we've had at work
with the Optiplex GX270, GX280, GX620 and now GX745 desktops (blown
capacitors on the 270's, duff PSU's on the rest of em), plus my work
laptop has had a replacement wireless card after it stopped working
after a year.

I do think it's good what Dell are doing though.  Just hope it filters
through to other companies and countries.

Rob