[ubuntu-uk] Need help with SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card

John Watson borat at ez25.org.uk
Tue Jun 26 23:59:05 BST 2007

Thanks for replying but I had already checked alsamixer(gui) and the
gnome volume control ;)

The analogue sound is fine (to my headphones). The digital out does work
BUT only works if I play a Dolby Digital source. If I play a simple mp3
/ stereo file, nothing is heard from the digital out.

So somehow stereo sounds are not being passed through the sound card (I
guess). I thought there might have been a config file in my home dir
causing this, si I created a temp user and tried in that account. Just
the same. It would appear that some app must have changed something.

How can I search the logs for only files that have been recently
installed? Is there an apt / synaptic log?