[ubuntu-uk] sound and software speech

Ian Pascoe softy.lofty.ilp at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 26 18:26:47 BST 2007

Hi Mike

You may well need to have something like Alsa (not sure on spelling)
installed.

My understanding is that natively Ubuntu is a single sound source system
unless the apps in use use Alsa or a similar library to enable software
mixing of soundstream unless your card supports this in hardware which I
believe is quite unusual.

There was a fix posted a little while ago on the Orca list to make it Alsa
compliant but having not tried that myself I can't say whether it's a good
un or not.