[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu and Distrowatch site

Chris Rowson christopherrowson at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 19:20:51 BST 2007

> Seriously though isn't the distrowatch merely a rank based on pageviews
> of _their_ site? As such it's somewhat meaningless in so far as
> measuring popularity goes.
>
> One thing you might glean from it is that Ubuntu is so well known now
> (if not well used) that people don't need to click the Ubuntu page on
> distrowatch, but might click another upstart of a distro like PCLinuxOS.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

Aye, agreed - you pipped me to the post Popey!

For instance, after reading your original message, I went to
distrowatch and checked out PCLinuxOS as I've heard of it before, but
didn't know much about it. I didn't look at Ubuntu however as I know
what it is.

Perhaps the results reflect the fact that PCLinuxOS is currently
maturing and its audience is growing, and that Ubuntu has reached a
level of maturity now where it is well known of in the Linux
community.

Chris