[ubuntu-uk] Unreal Tournament (was Re: suck it and see)

Mark Jose kernowyon at kernowyon.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 17:21:35 BST 2007

On Friday 22 June 2007 14:42, Josh Blacker wrote:

> Well I got it to run by using 'wine
> /media/MyBook/.../UnrealTournament.exe' but it's very stilted and
> certainly isn't anywhere near as fast as it is on xp (I wasn't
> expecting it to be, but it is considerably slower, to the point that
> it's painful). It's also very dark, even with brightness up to full.
> Looking at the terminal afterwards, there's lots (and I mean lots!) of
> error messages along these lines:
>
> fixme:d3d7:IDirect3DDeviceImpl_7_Load
> (0x1d75f8)->(0x4c16c88,(nil),0x21dba0,(nil),00000000): Partially
> Implemented!
>
> I'm guessing I'll have to change the graphics driver it uses?
>
> I downloaded the loki installer, but it asks for me to mount the
> discs, which I don't currently have!
> --
> Josh Blacker

What graphics card are you using ?  To play games, you need the correct 3d
accelerated driver. Ubuntu will install by default a capable driver for the
card, but not one which gives 3d acceleration. I use an Nvidia card, and the
commercial 3d driver for that is in the repositories. Not used ATI for many
years, so I cannot comment on that.
It *should* run as fast as it does (or very close to it) in Windows. If it
seems really slow and clunky, then I think you are correct regarding the
drivers.
The Loki installer is for installing from the disk - as you have discovered,
wine is the best option if you have the game already installed on your other
drive.

Mark