[ubuntu-uk] suck it and see

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Jun 21 18:05:46 BST 2007

norman wrote:
> It's really great to read about all the applications that folk use with
> Ubuntu. It makes a wonderful change from kicking Windows and expounding
> on its problems. Every time that that OS is mentioned it is drawing
> attention to it and this, all good and true Ubuntu users, do not want.
> The motto should be that Ubuntu is the greatest because of what it is
> not because of what it isn't.

Hello, Norman.

People compare Windows and Ubuntu because they are different solutions
to the same problem. If Ubuntu can't bear comparison with Windows, or
MacOS, or openBSD or any other operating systems then it's not doing
what people want a computer to do.

Yes, Ubuntu is the greatest and deservedly so because of many years of
effort by the FLOSS community. Windows users benefit from FLOSS too and
many people who are locked into that proprietary world at work use the
same applications that we use under Ubuntu like FireFox and openOffice.

FLOSS is not limited to these applications: Cygwin is an almost POSIX
compliant environment for Windows and can run most GNU software. I've
even run the GIMP under Windows - just because I could :-)

What matters to me are questions like "Why would I run Ubuntu when I've
already got Windows installed on my PC"?

My answer would be that Ubuntu does the same job a lot better and is
'free' in both senses of the word.

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687