[ubuntu-uk] suck it and see

Chris Jones chris.jones at canonical.com
Thu Jun 21 13:51:14 BST 2007

Hi

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Automatix/Non-free codecs.  At risk of getting a complete shoeing for
> this, I don't care about wether my computers are free of non-gnu
> software, I just want it to work.  Automatix and the win32codecs give

well automatix is dangerous, and everything it does is documented on the
help wiki :)

win32codecs isn't just a free/non-free issue, you're effectively
pirating proprietary windows software. Even if you do have a legal
Windows licence and have downloaded and accepted EULAs for all of the
other software which provides those codecs, you still might not be
legally entitled to use them in Ubuntu, but IANAL.

FWIW, the excellent chaps at Fluendo now sell a licenced codec pack
which includes most of the popular windowsy formats (although only for
gstreamer, obviously).

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones