[ubuntu-uk] fit for the purpose

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 11:08:59 BST 2007

On 21/06/07, alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com> wrote:

> Robin Menneer wrote:

> aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>
> >> tell,

> (not

> then
> Member
> is

> of

> Ubuntu
> >> to one of our users who is renowned (and happy to admit) that they are
> not
> >> technically minded or hugely skilled at using computers - they know
> enough
> >> to do their job but that's it.

> >> USB ADSL modem for internet access, configure the mail client and
> install
> >> flash etc. following the "instructions" in Firefox.

> >> have less hassles than I get with the windows boxes I've installed!
> >>
> >> That is great! Unfortunately most of the non technical people I know
> >> would not even know what USB, or a modem was.
> >>
> >> I would also be interested to know more about the adsl usb modem you
> >> mention. My understanding to date is that adsl with USB (rather than
> >> ethernet) is likely to give problems, even with 7.04. To what extent
> >> is this true now?
> >>
> >> (Presumably it is a non router - adsl usb modem only?)
> >>
> >> --
> >> alan cocks
> >> Kubuntu user#10391
> >>
> >> --
> >> ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com
> >>

> > I got Ubuntu loaded on my machine because I was led to believe that the
> > updates that I gratefully receive are distributed  in order to keep my
> > software healthy,   I have thought that Ubuntu is reliable, free and
> > friendly - apparently not ?
> >  I'm not interested in comparing with Windows because I'm using
> Ubuntu.  I
> > don't need updates which are likely to make my life more difficult.
> > Bewildered,  Robin
>
> It is reliable, free and friendly and I have no hesitation in saying
> that. That is not saying that you will never need to use either some
> experience or a more knowledgeable helper.
>
> There is a very wide range of support, local groups meetings and
> online, and companies offering paid for support.
> My comments have not applied to these, they have applied to novice
> users, possibly elderly, who use windows, have friends with windows,
> but would have no friends except myself, using Ubuntu. I am only oine
> person locally... an dmy skill is limited anyway.
> It does not stop me helping a neighbour to buy a new dell desktop
> yesterday online and installing Kubuntu dial boot, which is already
> arranged and appreciated.
>
> Please do not be bewildered Robin.
> I believe Normans original point included using applications which
> were not exactly mainstream. I tried Pan for example and preferred
> Thunderbird. My USB connected all in one printer only ever worked
> properly with Linux because the windows xp drivers often gave trouble.
> hth
> [...]

Thank you for the encouragement.  You're right, I'm elderly (and now
sllow-witted), rural dwelling and socially immobile and therefore isolated.
Most of the local LUG list is technically far above me but I live on in the
belief that a direct query to a Ubuntu list will bring forth a valid
solution.   Robin