[ubuntu-uk] Ubuntu (linux) vulnerabilty?? Comment please

Lee Tambiah leetambiah at ossgeeks.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 14:15:33 BST 2007

> Quoting alan c <aeclist at candt.waitrose.com>:
>
> So all in all, viruses[0] and their ilk will come to linux as it
> becomes more and more popular, however there will alwys be the fact
> that Linux is inherently more secure than some of the alternatives out
> there to give you a warm, fuzzy feeling... :o)

I'm not so sure of this statement, we must remember that most servers around
organisations are GNU/Linux based, but fail to get hosed by viruses. It is a
fact in my opnion that Windows is less secure as I have used both systems to
compare. General users on Win32 are constantly plagued by viruses and
spyware which GNU/Linux does not seem to be affected by. I also read an
article not so long ago about a cracker who got caught breaking into the
Pentagon systems. Funny thing was he mentioned that his first point of
action would be to look for Windows machines as they are generally easier to
exploit.

This article will explain the theory behind the Windows and Linux systems

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Cheers

Lee