[ubuntu-uk] Can I disable the power button?

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 18 19:40:37 BST 2007

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 19:05 +0100, Jim Kissel wrote:

> James Tait wrote:
> > Dave Walker wrote:
> >> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:28 +0100, Jim Kissel wrote:
> >> You can confirm that this setting does not exist?
> >> http://daviey.mooo.com/powersettings.jpg
> >
> > The drop-down is there for me, but I only have options to "Ask me",
> > "Suspend", "Hibernate" or "Shutdown".
>
> I can confirm the same options.  There isn't a "Do nothing" option.  I
> tried Alan's suggestion of --reinstall but this didn't alter the g-p-m
> interface.
>
> regards
> >
> > JT

Well noticed; I don't have it either.  Rather shocked.

In that case i would modify /etc/acpi/events/powerbtn, commenting out
the powerbtn.sh and adding "action=/bin/true".

Example:
- SNIPPED
---------
# of kernel changes.

event=button[ /]power
#action=/etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh
action=/bin/true
---------

However, if it is held down for more than ~4 seconds, it will still
power off.  You may be able to add disabling from the BIOS - or as
previously suggested, remove the cable from switch to box.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker