[ubuntu-uk] Can I disable the power button?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jun 18 19:29:30 BST 2007

Hi Jim,

On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 19:05 +0100, Jim Kissel wrote:

> James Tait wrote:
> > Dave Walker wrote:
> >> On Mon, 2007-06-18 at 14:28 +0100, Jim Kissel wrote:
> >> You can confirm that this setting does not exist?
> >> http://daviey.mooo.com/powersettings.jpg
> >
> > The drop-down is there for me, but I only have options to "Ask me",
> > "Suspend", "Hibernate" or "Shutdown".
>
> I can confirm the same options.  There isn't a "Do nothing" option.  I
> tried Alan's suggestion of --reinstall but this didn't alter the g-p-m
> interface.

The screenshot you sent me looks like a really old version of g-p-m.

http://gallery.popey.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=screenshots&id=Screenshot_Power_Management_Preferences

I wonder if something hasn't been updated during your upgrades from
dapper->edgy->feisty.

Can you just check ubuntu-desktop (and dependants) are installed
correctly:-

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

It will either just say it's already there, or it will pull in a bunch
of stuff that was missing. Can you also check your /etc/apt-sources.list
has all the necessary repos specified? Make it look a bit like what you
see in http://pastebin.ubuntu-uk.org/295

Cheers,
Al.