[ubuntu-uk] Can I disable the power button?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jun 18 13:54:00 BST 2007

Hi Stuart,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 01:43:46PM +0100, Stuart.Houghton at amnesty.org.uk wrote:
> My one-year-old son has a new favourite game - pressing the power button
> on his Dad's PC.

Haha. My daughter took to yanking out USB keys a while ago. Kids eh, gotta
love 'em.

> I am running Gnome  on Fiesty and whenever the power button is pressed it
> pops up a modal dialogue box asking if I want to restart, log out, switch
> off, etc.  I assume this happens via Gnome Power Manager.

Yup, and it's configurable. Right click Gnome Power Manager and choose
Preferences. In the "General" tab there is a "when the power button is
pressed..", change the drop down from "Ask me" to "Do nothing". Job done.

Cheers,
Al.