[ubuntu-uk] Can I disable the power button?

Stuart.Houghton at amnesty.org.uk Stuart.Houghton at amnesty.org.uk
Mon Jun 18 13:43:46 BST 2007

My one-year-old son has a new favourite game - pressing the power button
on his Dad's PC.

I am running Gnome  on Fiesty and whenever the power button is pressed it
pops up a modal dialogue box asking if I want to restart, log out, switch
off, etc.  I assume this happens via Gnome Power Manager.

What I would like is a way to disable this menu, so that hitting the power
button either does nothing, or perhaps triggers a script that logs the
number of times it has been pressed.  The GPM settings dialogue only gives
me the option of 'Ask Me', 'Shutdown' or 'Hibernate'.

I have googled around the problem, but everything I have found seems to
relate to laptops.  Does a desktop system use ACPI as well?

Cheers,

--
Stuart Houghton
http://del.icio.us/stuarthoughton