[ubuntu-uk] usb wireless

Andy stude.list at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 16 15:17:10 BST 2007

On 16/06/07, michaelweaver <weavermicha at googlemail.com> wrote:
> The device I now have is a USB stick.
> Should this be supported under Ubuntu?
> I ask as I have not been able to find any documentation which might tell
> me if USB sticks for wireless are supported.

It depends on the USB stick to be honest. They all work differently so
need different drivers. And the vendors tend to be less than helpful
in providing them.

Do you know the make and model of your USB stick?

Can you plug it in and type:
lsusb

it should list all attached USB devices. One of them should be your wifi.
You might want to do lsusb before inserting the stick as well as after
so you can see what changes.

You might need to use the Windows drivers under ndiswrapper.

It's certainly possible to get some wireless USB adapters to work. I
used to have a Belkin one (had to use ndiswrapper)

Andy

--
SELECT * FROM remarks WHERE witty=1 LIMIT 1