[ubuntu-uk] Searching for a Killer App

Robin Menneer robinmenneer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 10:16:34 BST 2007

On 14/06/07, Rob Beard <rob at esdelle.co.uk> wrote:

> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've managed to convince my parents that Ubuntu is for them (My mum just
> got a new laptop with Vista and Office 2007 and thinks that it is completely
> unintuitive!) however there is one issue.
> >
> > They use Microsoft Publisher.
> >
> > Whilst there are many tools out there that will act as a replacement, I
> am unable to find a program that will load and save MS Pub files.
> >
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > M.
> > --
> I'm not sure if this will help but could they run Publisher and OOo or
> Scribus on Windows and select everything on the page, copy it and paste
> it into OOo?
>
> Other than that, they could try using something like PDF Creator on
> Windows which as far as I know will export into EPS/PS format.  Even if
> it doesn't, you should be able to use something like pdf2ps to convert
> the document into PS format which can then be imported (hopefully) into
> Scribus and then copied and pasted into OOo.
>
> I think PDF creator also has the option to create PNG/JPG/BMP/TIF etc
> files, so if all else fails they could get the whole page as an image
> which can easily be imported into OOo.
>
> I went down the PDF2PS route the other day.  I was after a high quality
> logo for the company I work for.  Luckily I found a PDF copy of a
> business card which I was able to convert to PDF, import into Scribus
> and then copy and paste into Inkscape to make an SVG version.  Looked
> great when it was finally imported into OOo, much better than the JPG
> copies that were available to me.
>
> Hope this helps anyway.
>
> Rob

As a newbie. I think that OOo will do all  your relations want because Draw
is so well integrated with Writer.  But you'll have to explain the mysteries
of how the curser changes for what you want to do - it's not obvioius and
took me many days to fathom it out completely.  I don't think you need
scribus at an elemenetary level - it holds out no attractions for me above
Writer/Draw in OOo.   Robin