[ubuntu-uk] Leaflets

Matthew Larsen mat.larsen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 03:57:57 BST 2007

The worst thing you can do is patronise people. I'm not saying what
you wrote is patronising, I just think it needs to be rephrased.

A lot of people treat their computers like cars: As long as it goes
forwards, backwards and turns left and right - no-one cares how it
works. The idea of the leaflet (imo) would be to promote the idea that
people _do not_ have to use Microsoft's ideas of computing. By
marginalising users by their choice of interface just seems a little
assuming (although probably true)

I think the best way to proceed on a leaflet is to advertise exactly
how easy it is to switch (There is a lot of FUD created by microsoft
in this respect) and to promote the fact that you will _not_ lose any
data, you can still read all your formats, and you will be *immune*
from the majority of viruses / spyware / security holes that windows
has, as well as sticking the finger up at MS - which I consider the
main factor in non-technical users switching (again imo).

If a leaflet is to be designed and published en-masse it needs to be
accompanied by some new material in ubuntu - mainly tutorials to
explain how linux works. Not the FOSS is great / awesome argument, but
tutorials on how the new file system works, how software can be
installed using apt-get, desktop usage (multiple desktops and xgl etc)
and how to accomplish common tasks like setting up e-mail, accessing
windows documents, printing, maybe some sort of hardware compatibility
wizard (I could code this myself for windows using the ubuntu hardware
database if needs be). A migration wizard would be perfect in this
regard.

IMO its not about convincing people that OSS is better: I think the
majority of people who know about its existence prefer it anytime over
MS software. The trouble is the migration of users and the fears that
they have switching. 5 years ago this would be an issue, but nowadays
I would say that the ubuntu desktop is ready for the mainstream:
especially since a lot of applications can run in linux under wine.

I don't know if I am anywhere near the mark, just my views on it.

Regards,