[ubuntu-uk] Searching for a Killer App

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 21:08:33 BST 2007

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've managed to convince my parents that Ubuntu is for them (My mum just got a new laptop with Vista and Office 2007 and thinks that it is completely unintuitive!) however there is one issue.
>
> They use Microsoft Publisher.
>
> Whilst there are many tools out there that will act as a replacement, I am unable to find a program that will load and save MS Pub files.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> M.
> --
I'm not sure if this will help but could they run Publisher and OOo or
Scribus on Windows and select everything on the page, copy it and paste
it into OOo?

Other than that, they could try using something like PDF Creator on
Windows which as far as I know will export into EPS/PS format.  Even if
it doesn't, you should be able to use something like pdf2ps to convert
the document into PS format which can then be imported (hopefully) into
Scribus and then copied and pasted into OOo.

I think PDF creator also has the option to create PNG/JPG/BMP/TIF etc
files, so if all else fails they could get the whole page as an image
which can easily be imported into OOo.

I went down the PDF2PS route the other day.  I was after a high quality
logo for the company I work for.  Luckily I found a PDF copy of a
business card which I was able to convert to PDF, import into Scribus
and then copy and paste into Inkscape to make an SVG version.  Looked
great when it was finally imported into OOo, much better than the JPG
copies that were available to me.

Hope this helps anyway.

Rob