[ubuntu-uk] Wireless Cracking was setting up bt home hub in ubuntu

Dave Walker DaveWalker at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 13 20:09:14 BST 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 19:50 +0100, Ian Pascoe wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Some clarity on these times to break please!
>
> Is this done by snooping the traffic that is going between the computer and
> router or by bombarding the router with various keys until it responds?
>
> Anyone know for sure?  I know a couple of guys who work on computer
> crypotography and they quote figures like a million transfered packets to
> get the key reliably .... and they know cos they've done it.

Ian,

I am concerned where this thread could lead, but i feel that a high
level explanation is appropriate.  Obviously attempting this on a
network that is not your own is illegal.  I attempted this on a network
i own a few years ago, and was shocked that i could gain access within
an hour.  Tools have probably improved somewhat since i tried it.

The way that WEP is cracked falls into two categories.  There is a
passive attack that purely listens and logs packets sent between access
point and authorised user; the other method is active that sends
malformed packets to the access point that increases the amount of
'interesting' packets returned to the cracker.

These 'interesting' packets revel certain information that allow a tool
to work out what the WEP key is.

The more 'interesting' packets you have gathered the faster the cracking
can be achieved, with a million; it would take seconds - but the
gathering takes a little longer.

WEP is largely outdated, and most people who use security tend to use
the more secure WPA Protocol

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker