[ubuntu-uk] setting up bt home hub in ubuntu

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Tue Jun 12 18:55:01 BST 2007

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:16:03 +0100, michaelweaver <weavermicha at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I Think it will be the disk that comes with the Router. i have both a
>> desktop PC and a laptop, the desktop runs Windows on the Internal hard
>> drive but has Ubuntu on an external USB hard drive. The Desktop does not
>> have a network card in it.

Hello, Michael.

Matt is right, you don't need any disk or CD to use the BT Home-hub:
It's a self-contained DHCP server running Linux-derived code in ROM.

All you need to do is switch it on and connect an ethernet cable to it
or read the SSID and WEP key off the back for Wireless. The easiest
thing to do if you have Windows on your laptop is connect from there to
make sure your WiFi interface is working, then try setting it up from
Ubuntu. I use "Wifi Radar" under Ubuntu to search for wireless networks.

You should check that you can connect your laptop to the router with a
wired connection if you can't detect a wireless signal. Login to the
router using a web browser, and check which devices it detects. This is
all very simple to do from Windows without installing *any* software,
and is described in the instruction leaflet. The BT Home-hub is a very
well thought out router, and I'm quite impressed by its capabilities.

What you install from the BT CD's is a truly AWFUL customised version of
Micro$oft Internet Explorer and BT's 'help' system. Neither of which you
actually need to use the router.

I suggest that you first try connecting to the Home hub with a wired
connection from Windows using a web browser, and explore it's
capabilities. Then try setting Wireless up under Windows first because
you might otherwise spend a long time trying to get it to work under
Linux without knowing if you have a network hardware problem or not.

Best wishes,

	Tony.

Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687