[ubuntu-uk] wep key and ubuntu

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Sun Jun 10 16:30:20 BST 2007

Steve wrote:
> [...]
> I'm using a bcm4306 card (F5D7010uk rev3) with the bcm43xx driver on
> Dapper. I have a old Toshiba laptop running as a squid proxy and
> apt-cache server. It uses the PCMCIA card to link to the AP downstairs
> over WPA-PSK w/ CCMP.
>
> I don't use Network Manager as it's just too unreliable, instead all
> configuring is done through wpa_supplicant and /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> The tricky part is locating firmware that works. It's probably easiest
> to use a Feisty machine to download and extract the firmware as it has a
> more modern version of bcm43xx-fwcutter, then just transfer the *.fw
> files into the /lib/firmware folder of the machine with the wifi card.
>
> This wiki page is useful, except for the broken links.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Dapper

Hello, Steve.

Thanks for the link: I did manage to get the native driver working on my
previous Asus AMD64 laptop with a broadcom wireless chip, using fwcutter
to extract the firmware as you describe, but I just can't get it to work
on the HP Pavillion! I gave uo in the end and resorted to using the NDIS
wrapper for the Windows drivers :-(

> Having said all this, in terms of easy setup and wireless throughput
> Ndiswrapper is still the better solution.

Hey! I didn't realise the throughput was better with the NDIS driver :-)

I still don't like having to use the M$ driver, though...

Thanks for your advice,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687