[ubuntu-uk] rsync chgrp problem - advice, please?

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Fri Jun 8 07:57:02 BST 2007

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 07:46:08 +0100, "luxxius"
<luxxius at googlemail.com> said:
>     I do have one remaining question.  In the following compound
>     command
>
> find ~/music -type f -group diana -exec sudo chgrp root {} \; -exec
> sudo chmod 755 {} \;
>
> what is the function of ' {} \; '?

The escaped semi colon just marks the end of the command to -exec, as
you figured. Each time find gets a result, it runs the commands in the
-exec options replacing the {} with the path to the result (there are
other things, e.g. inode number, that you can substitute in with
different symbols).
Robert McWilliam     rmcw at allmail.net    www.ormiret.com

Everything should be made as simple as possible - but no simpler.
	-- Albert Einstein