[ubuntu-uk] rsync chgrp problem - advice, please?

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 21:12:57 BST 2007

On 06/06/07, luxxius <luxxius at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I'd be grateful for a bit of advice about something that's probably
> utterly obvious to anyone but a complete noob like me.

It sounds like, from your comments below, that you're not a *complete* noob :-)

> [snip]
> ######
> rsync: chgrp "/media/USBdisc/Music/Podcasts/In Our Time/65. William of
> Ockham 31 May 07.mp3" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
>
> rsync: chgrp "/media/USBdisc/Music/." failed: Operation not permitted (1)
>
> sent 218669 bytes  received 24480 bytes  486298.00 bytes/sec
> total size is 75452289335  speedup is 310312.97
> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
> main.c(977) [sender=2.6.9]
> ######
>

> I think (I hope!) this may mean that all the files were actually
> transferred,  but rsync could not synchronise some group permissions.
> Is that right?  Or were some files actually not transferred?

I haven't used rsync much, but I would guess from the error message
(and where I've seen it before) that the USB drive is formatted using
FAT, i.e. a Windows filesystem (if you haven't reformatted since you
bought it, this is almost certainly true).

I'm fairly sure that your conclusion is correct - you could check
quickly by looking at the file properties (size and date/time) for one
of the files mentioned in the error message. Since only a few have
failed, this shouldn't take too long.

To prevent it, check the group for the files that gave errors and one
of the files that didn't. Change the problem files to be in the group
that isn't causing problems. Other than that, you could reformat the
USB drive using a Linux filesystem (which will lose everything that's
currently on it - beware!), or use something like tar or zip to create
an archive and copy the archive onto the drive - this latter course
will mean you miss out on some of the benefits offered by rsync
though.

If you use the drive on Windows, reformatting it will make it more
difficult to access the files on the drive. It's still possible, since
there are free drivers to access Linux filesystems (and they work
better than accessing Windows filesystems on Linux, since the
specifications are freely available). If you're interested in this and
would like to know more, post a reply.

Hope I haven't included too much info. If I've glossed over anything
and you'd like more details, also post a reply.

Hwyl,
Neil.