[ubuntu-uk] FW: USB Drives

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jun 5 09:11:26 BST 2007

Hi Michael,

On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 01:58 +0100, Michael Wood wrote:
> I wouldn't bother with faffing around with dmesg output right yet.

In the chain of problem diagnosis it makes sense to use dmesg first
because this is the first place the system reports the discovery of the
device. Running dmesg takes no more or less time than fdisk, and could
be more reliable - see below.

> It's worth checking the output of the command fdisk -l (not run as sudo)
> after you have plugged in the device.
> If there is output then you will have all the info you need to mount it.

Not quite correct. There will always be output if you have any fixed
disks, you will just get _more_ output once you have a USB disk
attached.

> if you get something like that you can manually mount it using `pmount
> /dev/xxxx`

pmount isn't the way we mount disks anymore AIUI. We use
gnome-volume-manager.

Cheers,
Al.