[ubuntu-uk] Converting many .jpgs to mpeg4 without using

Martyn martyn.pattison at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:19:01 BST 2007

> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:16:21 +0100
> From: Dominic Forrest <dominic.forrest at ntlworld.com>
> Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] Converting many .jpgs to mpeg4 without using
>        wildcards
> To: British Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk at lists.ubuntu.com>
>

> OK - apologies if I was somewhat vague in my requirements!
>
> 1)   There is a directory structure with very many (several thousand)
> directories containing a large amount of .jpg files.
>
> 2)   I have a perl script that runs periodically and using criteria
> stored in a mysql database identifies a subset of these files (based on
> a number of criteria stored within the db).
>
> 3) The files identified in 2) will be spread across a number of
> directories with not all files in any single directory necessarily
> included.
>
> 4)   I wish to convert these images into a video running at (say) 10 fps
> using reasonably high compression which can later be viewed from  Linux
> & Windows clients.
>
> 5)   The number of images identified in each run (probably daily) will
> range from a few dozen to a few thousand with each image in the range
> 20-80k.
>

> Hope thats clearer!
>

> Dom

When your perl script runs have it make a working directory and then symlink
(ln -s) every file that matches the criteria into the  working directory.
Then at the end of the run you'll have a directory with all the matching
files in it, and you can use ffmpeg on it with a wildcard for the input
files. When you've created the movie simply delete the symlinks. I've used a
similar method in the past and it worked for me. By symlinking the files
instead of copying them you avoid using up disk space and the operation
should me much quicker.