[ubuntu-uk] Converting many .jpgs to mpeg4 without using wildcards

Dominic Forrest dominic.forrest at ntlworld.com
Mon Jun 4 13:07:44 BST 2007

Hi,
    I need to regularly convert a few hundred/thousand .jpgs to a mpeg4
(or other) video.  These files are selected as the result of a mysql
query from perl and sit within a number of directories along with many
more images which will not form part of the video - hence I cannot use
wildcards with ffmpeg (or any other tool).  I can easily list all the
filenames in order to a file but am unable to find a way to use this
file (which currently has the full path to one jpg on each line) as
input to ffmpeg.

Currently the only way I have found to do this is to copy all the files
(or create links) to a new directory which then allows me to use
wildcards - however this seems horribly inefficient!

Any thoughts or solutions welcomed!

Dom